How to Use Our Pivot Tables
Pivot tables are the best way to access specific and granular data, and are great for finding more detailed qualitative information on that data. Depending on which category you’ve selected, you can display information by year, program, country, or region. The pivot tables also display a line chart at the top of the page that corresponds to the selected parameters.
Accessing Information Through the Pivot Tables:
Manipulating data through the pivot tables is the best way to view detailed information and trends. Choosing the parameters for the pivot tables is a two-part process. Selecting how to view the data, and filtering that information for your needs:
- First, use the “Select to View Data By” field at the top of the page to choose which values are displayed along the y-axis, either by “Recipient” or “Program”.
- The “Recipient” option will display data by country and regional recipients, and the “Program” option will arrange the table by the various programs related to the category in question.
- Press “Go” to the right of this option to continue.
- Once you’ve selected how to view the data, the option you did not select (Recipient or Program) will become a filter option in the field below. So, if you want to view the pivot table by program, you can still limit these results to a specific country in the filters below.
- The second step involves filtering the data in the pivot table to specific parameters like “Sale Type” (for arms sales), “Date Range”, “Region”, “Funding Department”, and, depending on how you chose to view the data, either “Program” or “Recipient.” The “Program/Recipient” drop down menu changes depending on how you chose to view the data in the first step.
- If you selected “Recipient,” the drop down will allow you to limit data by specific programs and vice versa.
- Note: The arms sales pivot table is different from the rest. The filters include “Sale Type,” and the table and chart display sale stages: Notifications, Authorizations, and Deliveries.
Much of the data displayed in the pivot table contain more information, and by clicking on the country names, program titles, or the figures in the table, you can reveal details that aren’t otherwise apparent. Clicking on countries or programs along the y-axis will direct you the dashboards for the selected item. See Recipient & Program Dashboard segment above. You can also “drill-through” the figures in the table to reveal more information about the data.
Clicking on a figure will bring you to a “Details” pop-up window where you can find more information on the selected data point. The details available will vary according to how the data was sourced, how much supporting information is available, or if there are any further details to convey.
Once on the “Details” pop-up page, you can click figures in the red/pink/salmon colored columns for even more detailed information.